It might surprise you how easy it is to make chocolate at home - without vegetable fats or refined sugars. The following quantities can be adjusted to taste, they’re just a guide to use as a starting point. Cacao powder can be quite bitter for new users, so it’s best to start with a smaller amount, and keep adding small amounts to find your desired taste.
- 1 cup organic cocoa butter (available at any health food store)
- ¼ cup organic cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon smooth nut butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- Sea salt to taste
- Heat all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until combined and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into moulds, or straight onto a lined tray.
- Sprinkle sea salt over the mixture, to taste.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour or until set.
This recipe is a great base for all kinds of chocolate goodies. Omit the sea salt and add in roasted nuts or use the melted chocolate to coat strawberries or banana.