This chocolate popcorn can be made ahead of time and will keep for several days if stored in an airtight container. This recipe will make 5-7 servings.
- ½ cup organic popping corn
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons organic, grass fed butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon organic cacao powder
- Pre-heat the oven to approximately 160° C.
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium sized pot (with a lid) with three corn kernels.
- Once those three “test” kernels have popped, remove the pot from the heat, add the rest of kernels, and place the lid back on.
- Leave the pot off the heat for approximately 30 seconds, then return to heat: the kernels will start popping quite quickly.
- Remove from heat once there is a 5 second pause between pops.
- Place the popped popcorn into a large oven tray, in an even layer.
- Add the butter, coconut sugar and cacao powder to the pot, and heat over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved (this should only take a few minutes).
- Pour the butter mixture over the popcorn and mix to combine.
- Distribute the popcorn evenly on the tray, and place in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until popcorn feels dry to touch.