Making your own yoghurt is easier than you might think! The benefit is that you can avoid the artificial ingredients and added sugar of commercial, store-bought brands – instead using quality ingredients, to get the most nutrients from your yoghurt. Yoghurt with active, living bacteria cultures – probiotics – helps keep the gut happy, improving digestive symptoms such as bloating, diarrhoea and constipation.
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for minimum 2 hours or overnight
- ½ cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- Juice from 1 medium lemon
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup Pinch of Himalayan or sea salt
- 2 capsules of good quality, multistrain probiotic
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews, add all the ingredients minus the probiotic to the blender, blend on a high speed for 60 seconds or until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with the probiotics and mix in with a spoon.
- Cover the bowl with muslin cloth and leave it in a warm, dark place for 24-48 hours.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. The yoghurt will last for approximately 5 days
- Sprinkle with cinnamon for bonus anti-inflammatory benefits!
- Top with slices of fresh fruit or frozen berries.
- Add chia seeds, goji berries, pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds.