Also known as ‘turmeric latte’ after its key ingredient, this drink is highly revered in traditional Ayurvedic medicine for its healing properties.
Curcumin, the key compound in turmeric, is a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Drinking it warmed with some healthy fat maximises the healing properties of curcumin and increases its absorption.
The benefits of this brew include reducing gas, bloating and IBS symptoms, aiding relaxation and supporting the immune system. It’s traditionally consumed in small amounts to avoid overloading your digestion. Feel like you’re on a wellness retreat with every sip!
- Almond/coconut milk (250ml or 1 cup)
- ¼ cup water for simmering (to maintain liquid level from evaporation)
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, grated; or ¼ tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon or 1 whole cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp maple syrup, raw honey, coconut sugar – or sweetener of choice!
- Add all ingredients, aside from the sweetener, to a small pot.
- Simmer gently on low-medium heat (do not boil) for 10 minutes.
- Stir through sweetener and add a splash of more hot water if required.
- Strain and serve.